ADDRESSING THE HEALTHCARE CHALLENGES AHEAD: BRETAGNES STRENGTHS AND CAPABILITIES
Our ambition : a leading region in Europe in addressing the healthcare challenges of tomorrow: prevention, prediction, patient empowerment and personalized medicine.
Thanks to the strengths and innovation of our region’s healthcare sector, Bretagne is among France’s leading regions for its scientific and clinical expertise, and also as a great place to do business.
With committed stakeholders the sector enjoys a high level of R&D investment, and its research inhealthcare technologies (imaging, eHealth, medical devices) is recognised throughout France. The region ranks 4th among the most dynamic ecosystems in France for e-health (2017 Health&Tech Studies).
Regional skills in data science, cybersecurity, artificial intelligence…foster the development of new organizational approaches in healthcare (prevention, diagnostics, therapeutics).
In addition, as a leading region for R&D into molecular and active agents, Bretagne is going from strength to strength in biotechnologies and health nutrition – it even has healthcare subsidiaries within its agrifood businesses, and not many regions can claim that.
Furthermore, our region is highly skilled in liver pathologies, cardiology, neurology and orthopaedics.
Patients and healthcare professionals are at the heart of the sector’s innovation
Today healthcare should be patient-centred and delivered by multidisciplinary medical teams co-operating together. Translational research, « from research lab to hospital bedside, » has been the focus of many pivotal projects across the region.
Bretagne in figures
• National School of Public Health - EHESP
• National blood transfusion service in Brest and Rennes - EFS
• Regional cancer centre - CEM
• Centre for health simulation - CESIM Santé
• Technological Research Institute - b<>com
• Accelerator and technology transfer office - SATT Ouest Valorisation
• Network of high-level technology platforms - Biogenouest
• Centre for clinical investigation and technological innovation - CIC-IT
Ranking region in France for biotechnology* - Capbiotek
Research teams (Anses, CNRS, Inra, Inria, Inserm, etc.) - Plug in labs ouest
* Source BioMap 2015 Biotech Finances